Selwyn Township offers a captivating blend of natural beauty, rich history, community spirit, and exciting events. Whether you seek outdoor adventures, cultural experiences, or a peaceful retreat, Selwyn invites you to immerse yourself in its unique charm and create lasting memories in the heart of the Kawarthas.
Discover Selwyn Township
Welcome to Selwyn, a charming township located in Peterborough County, Ontario, Canada. Situated in the picturesque Kawarthas region, Selwyn boasts a rich history, vibrant community, and an array of exciting events and attractions that are sure to captivate residents and visitors alike.
Selwyn Township was established in 1998 through the amalgamation of the former Lakefield and Smith-Ennismore townships. The area has a deep historical significance, with settlements dating back to the early 19th century. Lakefield, one of the prominent communities in Selwyn, was originally a bustling port on the Trent-Severn Waterway and played a vital role in the region’s logging and milling industries.
Selwyn Township is home to a diverse and welcoming community. The population consists of both year-round residents and seasonal visitors who appreciate the township’s natural beauty and recreational opportunities. The township prides itself on fostering a strong sense of community, with residents actively participating in local events, volunteering, and supporting local businesses.
- Selwyn is known as the “Land of Shining Waters” due to its abundance of picturesque lakes and waterways.
- The township is a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts, offering activities such as boating, fishing, hiking, and wildlife viewing.
- Selwyn’s scenic landscapes have attracted artists and inspired many creative works, making it a hub for the arts in the region.
Events and Festivals:
Selwyn hosts a variety of events and festivals throughout the year, showcasing the vibrant community spirit and celebrating the township’s unique culture. Some notable events include:
- The Lakefield Literary Festival: This annual festival brings together renowned Canadian authors and literature enthusiasts for engaging discussions, book signings, and workshops.
- The Lakefield Farmers’ Market: Held every Thursday during the summer months, the market offers a wide selection of fresh produce, baked goods, crafts, and more, supporting local farmers and artisans.
- Selwyn’s Polar Fest: A community-wide annual festival featuring dozens of events and businesses in and around Selwyn Township
Selwyn Township has been home to several notable individuals who have achieved recognition in their respective fields. Some famous residents include:
- Margaret Laurence: The renowned Canadian author, known for works such as “The Stone Angel” and “A Jest of God,” lived in Lakefield for several years.
- Robertson Davies: The celebrated novelist, playwright, and essayist resided in Lakefield and drew inspiration from the area for his writing.
- Catherine Parr Traill: A pioneering author and naturalist, Traill settled in the area in the 19th century and documented her experiences in her acclaimed writings.