Havelock-Belmont-Methuen Township offers a delightful blend of natural beauty, rich history, and vibrant community spirit. From the tranquil Crowe Lake to the captivating festivals and outdoor adventures, this charming township has something for everyone. Immerse yourself in the fascinating history, indulge in outdoor activities, and experience the warmth and hospitality of the locals.
Get to know the Havelock-Belmont-Methuen Township
Welcome to the captivating Havelock-Belmont-Methuen Township, nestled in the picturesque Peterborough County of Ontario, Canada. Whether you seek outdoor adventures, cultural experiences, or a peaceful retreat, Havelock-Belmont-Methuen Township offers an abundance of opportunities for visitors to indulge in.
Location and Overview:
Havelock-Belmont-Methuen Township is located in the heart of Peterborough County, surrounded by scenic landscapes, sparkling lakes, and verdant forests. Encompassing an area of approximately 530 square kilometers, the township is known for its tranquil rural character and picturesque beauty.
The township comprises the communities of Ashby Mill, Belmont Lake, Blairton (ghost town), Blairton Station, Blue Mountain, Chase Corners, Cordova Mines, Freeman Corners, Jack Lake, Havelock, Kasshabog Lake, MacDonald Bay, Nephton (ghost town), Oak Lake, Preneveau, Rockdale, Round Lake, Rush Point and Vansickle.
History and Heritage:
Havelock-Belmont-Methuen Township boasts a captivating history that dates back centuries. Here are some key highlights:
- Indigenous Heritage: The area has a rich Indigenous history, with the Mississauga First Nation having deep roots in the region. Exploring the local history offers insights into the cultural significance and contributions of the Indigenous communities. Consider visiting the Hiawatha First Nation and connecting with their heritage.
- Pioneer Settlement: European settlers arrived in the 19th century, establishing farms and settlements in the area. The township’s history is intertwined with the challenges and triumphs of early pioneers who shaped the landscape and created vibrant communities. Learn about the early settlers and their contributions at the Havelock-Belmont-Methuen Museum.
- Railway Heritage: Havelock, one of the townships within Havelock-Belmont-Methuen, played a significant role in the development of railways. The Havelock Railway Station, a designated heritage site, stands as a testament to this era and showcases the importance of railways in the region’s growth. Explore the station and learn about its historical significance.
Attractions and Activities:
- Crowe Lake: Explore the beauty of Crowe Lake, a serene and picturesque body of water that offers excellent opportunities for fishing, boating, and water sports. With its clear waters and abundant fish species, it’s a paradise for anglers. Enjoy the peaceful surroundings, immerse yourself in nature, and unwind in the tranquil atmosphere. Don’t forget to capture stunning photographs of the lake and its surrounding landscapes.
- Havelock Country Jamboree: This world-renowned country music festival, held annually in Havelock, attracts thousands of visitors from near and far. Enjoy live performances by top country artists, indulge in delicious food from local vendors, and immerse yourself in the lively atmosphere of this beloved event. Join in the line dancing, connect with fellow music enthusiasts, and create unforgettable memories.
- Outdoor Adventures: The township is a haven for outdoor enthusiasts. With a plethora of hiking trails, cycling routes, and nature reserves, you can embark on thrilling adventures and discover the region’s stunning landscapes. Don’t miss the opportunity to visit Kawartha Highlands Provincial Park, renowned for its rugged beauty and pristine wilderness. Explore the park’s trails, go wildlife spotting, or indulge in canoeing and kayaking on its tranquil lakes.
- Unique Festivals: Havelock-Belmont-Methuen Township hosts a variety of unique festivals and events throughout the year, celebrating local culture, arts, and community spirit. From the Havelock Pumpkinfest, where giant pumpkins take center stage, to the Norwood Fall Fair, featuring agricultural displays and exciting competitions, there’s always something exciting happening in the township. Check the event calendar to plan your visit during these lively celebrations.
- Trans-Canada Trail: Havelock-Belmont-Methuen Township is part of the Trans-Canada Trail, a network of trails spanning the entire country. This expansive trail system offers endless opportunities for outdoor enthusiasts to explore the region’s natural beauty. Whether you prefer hiking, cycling, or cross-country skiing, the Trans-Canada Trail provides scenic routes to enjoy the captivating landscapes and breathtaking views.